This CPD certified course is aimed at care home staff involved in any aspect of medicines use. Students should have previously undertaken basic administration of medicines competency training as appropriate to their care setting prior to taking this course.
This course supports the implementation of recommendations in the NICE guideline on managing medicines in care homes. It also supports statement 3 in the NICE quality standard on medicines management in care homes. The course carries an endorsement statement from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and we are a Skills for Care endorsed provider.
The course is broken down into nine modules including:
2. The role of CQC, the NICE Guideline and Quality Standards
3. The management of medicines in care homes
4. Management of self-medicating residents
5. Administration of inhalers
6. Administration of eye drops
7. Administration of transdermal patches
8. Administration of topical products
9. Administration of PRN medicines
There are also three practical case studies covering ‘when required’ medicines, self administration and administration of inhalers.
The course should take around 2.5 hours in total to complete, but we recommend that it is taken in stages and not in a single sitting.
Quizzes at the end of each module will test understanding and recap on key learning points, and a pass mark of 70% is required in the final assessment to complete the course and receive a certificate.