This CPD certified e-learning course is aimed at medicines optimisation teams, GPs, practice nurses, practice pharmacists, PCN pharmacists, care home pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and non-medical prescribers.
The course is broken down into five modules including:
1. The adverse effects of anticholinergic medicines
2. Evidence for cognitive impairment with anticholinergic medicines
3. The use of anticholinergic medicines in people with dementia
4. Anticholinergic burden scales
5. Reviewing the anticholinergic burden
There are also three practical case studies covering medication reviews for patients with a high burden.
The learning from the course is supported by several videos from Lelly Oboh, who talks about the practical application of each module to clinical practice. Lelly is a consultant pharmacist for older people at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital and the NHS Specialist Pharmacy Service.
The course should take around 1.5 hours in total to complete, but we recommend that it is taken in stages and not in a single sitting.
Quizzes at the end of each module will test understanding and recap on key learning points, and a pass mark of 70% is required in the final assessment to complete the course and receive a certificate.